We welcome the Medical Research Future Fund
The proposed Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) is one of the most important initiatives in the nation’s history to ensure that Australia stays at the leading edge of medical and health research and continues to transform the health of people around the country.
The MRFF will build to a $20 billion perpetual fund that will help secure funding for health and medical research into the future, providing $1 billion in annual disbursements by 2022-23. This will transform the long-term future of health and medical research in Australia, and the efficiency and effectiveness of the Australian health system.
We at The George Institute for Global Health welcome the MRFF as it offers an opportunity to target investment in finding the best ways to address the biggest health issues facing Australians and to create a sustainable health system.
Our submission to the Senate endorses the proposed governance model and makes further recommendations including:
- Prioritising patient needs by tailoring investment in the prevention and treatment of conditions that cause the greatest burden of disease and injury in Australia.
- Maximising innovation and translation of research into practice by boosting investment in:
- Research to improve healthcare delivery and patient outcomes
- Clinical trial infrastructure to support high quality research
- Funding schemes to support clinician researchers
The MRFF is about making sure all Australians are getting the best and right treatment when they need it. It’s about the improving the health of all Australians, today and in the future.
What you can do
- Read our submission to the MRFF (PDF 82KB)
- Read the submissions from other organisations to the MRFF
- Follow #voteMRFF on Twitter
- Contact your local Member of Parliament to encourage their support for the MRFF
- Visit the MRFF Action Group website for more on how you can get involved