Student Support Officer
- Part time opportunity (0.5 FTE)
- 1 year contact (with the potential for extension)
- Respected global research organisation
The George Institute (‘TGI’) is 700+ people around the world, all focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities, and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to:
- Find better treatments for the world’s biggest health problems
- Transform primary health care to support better health for more people
- Harness the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
The George Institute is committed to developing the next generation of health researchers to discover new ways to identify, treat and prevent chronic disease and injury. The postgraduate student program at TGI supports that commitment. The program involves contributions from multiple internal groups to manage postgraduate programs held at TGI, in conjunction with UNSW Sydney.
The Student Support Officer working alongside the Postgraduate Coordinator, will be responsible for supporting the Postgraduate Student Program at TGI. The role will also act as a liaison between the students, the supervisory teams and the university at which the students are enrolled.
To achieve this you will:
- Develop expert knowledge on all aspects of UNSW requirements and policy for candidates undertaking a Higher Degree by Research (HDR)
- Maintain and update TGI’s student and supervisor registers
- Act as first point of contact for all issues relating to management of TGI HDR students including new candidates, new supervisors, variation requests, thesis submission and liaise with Graduate Research personnel at UNSW (as appropriate)
- Streamline the process associated with reviewing applicant information for HDR admission and scholarship ranking, ensuring the data are accurate and complete
- Support and coordinate student processes at TGI, such as (but not limited to) progress reviews, student inductions etc
- Support the activities of the HDR Review Panels including timetabling, staff and student liaison and online documentation within TGI and provide support in the development and implementation of initiatives for improvement at future reviews
- Manage, review and, where necessary, improve processes associated with the Student Program and contribute to relevant projects
- Review and report on HDR supervisory capacity for the Institute globally
- Collate and report on all aspects of enrolment, progress and completion of the HDR students
- Develop policy and procedure documents, including but not limited to, the management of TGI students in consultation with the Postgraduate Coordinator
- Support the implementation of the Student Program Strategy
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated experience in the provision of operational or administrative support in a student services or an academic research environment
- A tertiary qualification with subsequent relevant experience, or an equivalent level of knowledge gained through any other combination of education, training and/or experience in relation to student administration and support
- Proven high level organisational skills, including the ability to establish priorities, with excellent attention to detail and the ability to meet tight and conflicting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to remain calm under pressure
- Proven well-developed problem solving and analytical skills and a demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Demonstrated skills in computing packages, including Microsoft Excel and Word, with proven aptitude using information and computer technology including databases, internet, web and customer relationship management packages
- Demonstrated experience in developing and improving processes and systems
- Proven ability to work in a high volume, process driven environment with variable workflow whilst ensuring conscientious delivery of work at all times
- Proven ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
The closing date for applications is 02.08.2020. We do however, reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
We are reviewing applications as soon as we receive them, so please apply now!
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people with a disability; women; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; people who identify as LGBTIQ; mature-aged adults and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Type of career: Jobs
City: Newtown, Sydney
Application close date: 02/08/2020