GET INVOLVED: Call for Consumer and Community Advisory Committee members
Community engagement and involvement is a critical component of research, and perhaps nowhere is its relevance felt more strongly than the area of health research. The end beneficiary of all medical and health research is ultimately the public at large which comprises consumers of health services, carers of people with health conditions and individuals who actively seek to prevent ill-health. Therefore, as a Medical Research Institute committed to improving the health of millions of people worldwide, The George Institute is formalising its efforts in community involvement – including the establishment of a Consumer and Community Advisory Committee (CCAC). This Committee will function at the organisational level and work with senior researchers and other Institute leaders.
Expressions of Interest
We are looking for people who are interested in helping us shape the direction of our research to maximise benefits for our society. We value the knowledge and experience that consumers and community members bring to health research and want to work more closely with them to ensure our research is relevant and makes a real difference to their lives. We are inviting individuals who have, or care for people with health conditions- particularly those that align with our research priority areas (for more information about these click here).
As Committee member, we will ask you to:
• Provide input to our Consumer and Community Involvement strategies and activities, our research priorities and relevant communications
• Identify areas and opportunities where we can be better at involving the public in our research processes
• Encourage wider involvement in our research
• Promote our research to your relevant networks
Who is eligible to apply
You do not need to have a scientific background or be an expert to contribute. We are looking for people who:
• Have experienced a health condition or those who care/ have cared for others with a known health condition
• Have some experience with health research and/ or health care services and/or health consumer representation or advocacy
• Can represent consumer and community views in their personal capacity (rather than as members of an organisation)
• May be involved with or have connections to other relevant community groups
What would be involved?
Meeting frequency: 4 times a year
Meeting duration: 2-3 hours
Preparation time: 1-2 hours
We hope to meet with those who are interested in July 2021. If selected as a Committee member, you will be offered reimbursement for your time.