Senior Communications and Advocacy Advisor (UK)
- Full time, fixed term for 2 years, UK based
- Global Communications & Advocacy
Established in 1999, The George Institute for Global Health is a global, not-for-profit medical research organisation, affiliated with leading academic partners, with major centres in Australia, China, India and the United Kingdom. We have been ranked among the top 10 research institutes in the world for scientific impact. Our mission is to improve the health of millions of people worldwide.
The Senior Communications and Advocacy Advisor (UK) will be based in the UK predominately leading the development of The George's global advocacy and stakeholder engagement program. The role also encompasses leading TGI UK's communications work. The position will work from the TGI offices in Oxford, UK, and will be supported by the wider global communications team in Australia, China and India. The role will have a diverse range of responsibilities, including the implementation of the Institute's advocacy efforts, the execution of external communications strategy, and the drafting of compelling communications around its research and insights.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Lead multilateral advocacy, relationship management, and program engagement to drive impactful outcomes centred around TGI research and advocacy insights
- Develop persuasive marketing and supporting materials to further develop TGI's impact and advocacy activities (specifically with the United Nations, World Health Organisation, World Bank etc)
- Responsible for engagement with global non-profit organisations (such as the Gates Foundation)
- Working with colleagues, implement a senior staff, thought leadership advocacy program, specifically around research and advocacy products and events
- Coordinate and liaise with TGI China and TGI India offices on multilateral programming and linkages
- Responsible for leading TGI UK communications including media and advocacy
- Travel as necessary to engage with key stakeholders
- Contribute to the team culture at TGI Oxford
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- A minimum of a master's degree in marketing, communications or a related advocacy field is required
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in the field of public affairs, media relations, employee communication or marketing communications in a health advocacy environment
- Experience working within governmental and multilateral settings (such as the UN, WHO etc)
- Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing successful communication and advocacy strategies
- Familiarity with current global trends in health and particularly in non-communicable diseases and injury.
- Ability to creatively and innovatively forge approaches, linkages and pitches to key stakeholders
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to build strong and effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and manage projects independently, prioritizing and managing workflow
- Some experience dealing with media
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments
Please indicate if you already have working rights in the UK.
The George Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; people who identify as LGBTI; mature-aged adults and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
To apply for this position please apply at the followng link:
Type of career: Jobs
Country: United Kingdom
Application close date: 27/03/2017