• Full-time, 2 Year Fixed Term Contract
• Food Policy Division
• Be part of an exciting and innovative health application
Established in 1999, The George Institute for Global Health is a global, not-for-profit medical research organisation, affiliated with leading academic partners, with major centres in Australia, China, India and the United Kingdom. Our mission is to improve the health of millions of people worldwide.
The George Institute's Food Policy team works to address the issue of poor diets by undertaking research and advocacy in relation to the food supply including monitoring the composition of foods. As part of this it established a branded food composition database to monitor the sodium content of foods which has since been broadened to monitor other nutrients. Following this, a smartphone application, FoodSwitch was consequently developed using this database, and is available in Australia, New Zealand, UK, South Africa, India and China.
We are currently seeking an experienced and motivated FoodSwitch IT Lead to provide technical expertise and insight in the development of IT and business initiatives around the application.
As the FoodSwitch IT Lead you will be responsible for achieving technological change to meet business need and future demand. You will have a sound technical background covering APIs, Linux Server, PHP database, Web, and have iOS or Android App experience. Having broad IT industry experience around Development and Engineering, the proven ability to develop solutions, provide detailed thinking to see through new design to reality, you will be comfortable taking on monetisation of Apps and Websites, fee for licence, data visualisation, OCR, data mining, AWS, changing databases from MyiSAM to InnoDB, optimising crons and enjoy the complexities of algorithms replicating real world regulations.
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
• Own, track and resolve database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents
• Engage with the operational data owners (business) as and when necessary to provide advice and guidance on data objects, business rules and dependencies.
• Develop, maintain and implement system codes, when required
• Maintain and improve data security and integrity
• Define and deliver initiatives that enhance our platform performance in line with business needs.
• Ensure requirements sufficiently cover key technological settings and technological builds are fit for purpose.
• Ensure technical hosting, installation, and life-cycle maintenance of servers, applications, infrastructure, and environments are reviewed to be fit for purpose.
• Ensure test protocol robustness, coverage and automation where possible.
• Ensure that developed IT solutions (including solution design documentation, testing coverage and support documentation), meet business need.
• Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize and development efficiency.
• Drive improvement in policies, processes, systems and internal control environment of the organisation e.g. segregation of duties, process improvement, documentation of SOPs.
• Ensure that all activities comply with various legal provisions, ethical standards and industry best practices.
• Ensure the IT roadmap is up to date and all IP connected with the build is sufficiently captured.
Desired Skills and Experience
Our ideal candidate will possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field
• Strong proven work experience in software development, or related experience.
• Understanding of different programming languages with the ability to support problem resolution with coding, testing and deployment.
• Proven familiarity with technical development concepts, software tools, technologies, database concepts and design techniques.
• Ability to lead, and manage multiple projects through a development team, with experience of working with remote or overseas development teams an advantage.
• Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
• Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies.
• Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle.
• Sound experience with ITIL, risk evaluation and mitigation.
• Good experience with delivery of projects, the ability to work in an Agile and/or Prince2 environment.
• Ability to make quick, well thought-out decisions and provide insight into technical problems to provide for effective project management and estimation.
• Proficient in all types of documentation and related BA and IT process.
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, with ability to influence and communicate to all levels of stakeholders.
We're looking for a leader in the field; having been at the forefront of IT projects you will enjoy working in green field environs, including developing software and programs, protecting against all security attacks and compromise, providing advice on the complexity and size of tasks, understand impacts to infrastructure, the full SDLC and the provision of proactive management solutions. You will be able to see the critical path for a project, identify risk and know the minimum must haves in order to deliver sustainability. You will enjoy strategic thinking and contributing to a tight team of individuals who have a passion for making a difference. If this sounds like you, then apply now at the following link: http://thegeorgeinstitute.recruitmenthub.com.au/Vacancies/3254429/title…
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 31/01/2017