Government and Stakeholder Engagement Manager
- Full time (1 FTE)
- Respected global research organisation
- Make an impact on global health outcomes
The George Institute (TGI) is 700+ people, focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to:
- Find better treatments for the world's biggest health problems
- Transform primary health care to support better health for more people
- Harness the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
An opportunity exists for an Australia focused Government and Stakeholder Engagement Manager to join our growing Communications & Advocacy Team.
The Communications & Advocacy Team provides a combined focus on media relations and a broad range of communications and writing services, including employee communications, media relations support, website management, speechwriting, content delivery for publications, both regional and global, and stakeholder management.
The primary responsibility of the role of the Government and Stakeholder Engagement Manager is to lead and manage Australian government relations, stakeholder relationships and communication activities. This program is core to supporting strategic TGI policy and advocacy priorities; and amplifying TGI and its researchers as thought leaders and “go-to-experts” in health reform and evidence-based policy. The role is also responsible for strategic internal and external communication activities for the Australian program, in particular events and products to grow TGI impact and profile.
To achieve this, you will be responsible for:
- Establishing and implementing Australian Government, Stakeholder and Communications strategies to deliver the TGI 2025 Strategic Plan
- Proactively and independently working closely with researchers and leadership to identify, lead and implement a targeted and integrated program of engagement and communications
- Leading and managing all facets of strategic government and stakeholder engagement for TGI Australia and being a central liaison for government and key sector stakeholders
- Providing direction and approval for TGI AU’s response and/or position on policy, reform and matters of political and/or reputational sensitivity and risk
- Leading, identifying need and developing government correspondence, pitches and briefings on behalf of the Executive Director Australia, senior management and other program leads
- Working closely with the global Senior Advocacy Adviser (based in the UK) and other country Communications Managers, leverage Australian government program to support and grow multilateral and bilateral priorities
- Working closely with the Senior Media Adviser, the Think Tank Program Officer, and social media team to amplify TGI policy/reform priorities and activities, through regular thought leadership /policy events and products, integrated communications campaigns and coordinated outreach
- Acting as the backup for media management and the Stakeholder and Communications Coordinator in absence of incumbents
Your success will be based on a range of your key skills and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field as required
- A minimum of 10-15 years’ experience in the field of public affairs, policy, government relations, advocacy or similar role
- Extensive experience in developing strategic engagement and communications programs including building networks and collaborations to maximise impact on policy/reform
- Experience managing stakeholder and policy programs including convening policy forums, products and thought leadership activities
- Experience working across multiple projects and managing multiple internal and external relationships/clients
- International facing government engagement – favourable
- A track recording in building strategic, effective government relations and impacting policy and reform – favourable
- A background in government, think tank and peak bodies – favourable
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to build strong stakeholder relationships both internally and externally
- Well-developed organisational and time management skills with the ability to deliver to tight timelines whilst maintaining accuracy
- Developed managerial skills with the ability to coach and mentor other team members across a matrix structure
We offer a flexible and inclusive work culture with excellent staff benefits including, salary packaging arrangements and sound learning opportunities. To review the position description, please follow the link or for more information about the Institute, please visit our website.
The George Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; people who identify as LGBTIQ; mature-aged adults and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Type of career: Jobs
City: Newtown, Sydney
Application close date: 09/08/2019